Tuesday 30 March 2010

Here's one I did earlier! - Respite Care Home


I was passing Motherwell Town Centre with the girls and Sandra(wife) and I took this quick snap of a building I designed and delivered almost 10 years ago.
We won the commission (GCA Architects, Coatbridge) when I was a Trainee Architect. It was a local competition of about 6 firms and I prepare the competition entry which of course we won.
Therafter, PHEW (Parental Help Evening's and Weekends) was to become my baby for the next 3 years.
David McKendrick (PHEW Secretary) was the Client Representative having been involved with the charity for quite some time. Effectively the brief was to deliver a 14 bed respite care Hotel for both adults and kids with learning difficulties. The Project comprised bedrooms (all ensuite), gym, sensory room, swimming pool, games room, hairdressing area, bar, reception an admin, carers drop in centre and day accommodation including lounge and dining spaces.
The Plan was centred around a sensory garden which was truly sensory ie not a few herbs stuck in the corner. We had a very large water feature which made loads of noise including a glass fronted fish tank, stainless steel water channels and a small external pool which was ramped so that wheelchair users could dip their feet in the water! We also had a mirrored wall with a swing cantilevered off it and the kids loves watching their reflection in the mirror!
The building is still looking good and I believe working well for its users.

No comments:

Post a Comment