Tuesday 25 May 2010

Commercially Aware - Block Architects, Scotland

I've returned today from the self build house site in Broxburn and had an interesting chat with the Project Manager, who introduced a development opportunity to me and wanted to pick my brain on what's happening in the market place. He commented: 'I'm asking you this Kenneth because you are commercially aware.'

Now there are many Architects out there who could and would take offence to this but not me! I love that Clients appreciate and ask for my advice based on an understanding of what's going on in the commercial market place. I have never adopted the attitude that I will only do design projects infact most of the work I accept on behalf of blockARCHITECTS has a commecial focus and not a design focus.

I believe that the provision of an exemplary set of construction drawings based on a design which is market ready is just as important to the process of delivery than ensuring an award winning design.

That said design is important and where possible ie where the site justifies it and where the Client can budget accordingly certainly justifies good design even award winning design.

So there you have it. We are commercially aware.

1 comment: