Monday 14 June 2010

Ask The Architect - What Do I Do When My Building Warrant Runs Out?

(Image Left - Typical EPC Certificate)

Every Day I get asked a question relating to the industry so I thought I would post these as a regular thing. Mind you I have no intention of doing this daily!

I was asked by a Client who deals with relatively large scale projects: 'What Do I Do When My Building Warrant Runs Out?'


Well it largely depends on what the Warrant Approval was for however, in short you would typically get 3 years after the date of Approval of the Warrant to have the project completed and signed of by Building Control. You can get an extension to this 3 year period through a formal application but in fairness most people tend to miss the deadline. In these circumstances it's important to reappraise the project.

I did this recently for the Client that I mentioned earlier. They got Warrant Approval for 28 flats and 3 years later and in particular with the down turn in the market they never built out the flats. Now with the flatted developments the noise and insulation requirements have largely changed becoming more onerous in their requirements (this said onerous is obviously better for the end user). I advised the Client that we could reapply for a new warrant using largely the information already submitted and approved by building control and that we would need to supplement the package with Energy Performance Certificates. (EPC's). An EPC is a computer calculation which assesses the carbon footprint of each individual flat and is issued positioned within the flat so that a surveyor has an indication of the Carbon Rating of the Flat.

So there you have it. If you need advice on renewing a Warrant Application contact us at our official webpage




No comments:

Post a Comment